Friday, June 30, 2006

Anne Rice's next movie

Back in October, I reported here about Anne Rice's returning to her Catholic roots and changing her writing subjects from vampires to Jesus. In her most recent book, Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt, she covers the early years of Jesus' life, and wants to write 2 more sequels regarding other areas of His life. According to this report, as well as being confirmed by the Bible Films Blog and FilmChat, they are already planning to film a movie based on her Christ the Lord book:

LOS ANGELES, June 29 (UPI) -- Good News Holdings, a Los Angeles agency producing faith-based multimedia content, acquired film rights to Anne Rice's novel "Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt."

After Rice returned to the Christian faith following a 38-year lapse, she traded writing stories about vampires for stories about Jesus. Her first effort, "Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt" chronicles Jesus' early life, after he began to understand his destiny at age 7.

The film is being produced by Good News Holdings, a company founded in 2005 to produce faith-based content in multimedia formats. Good News is owned by George Barna, author and researcher of Christian trends; former Paramount President David Kirkpatrick; former Microsoft branding consultant Christopher Chisholm; former "Today" show producer Martha Cotton; former Barna Group partner Thom Black and former Silicon Valley chipmaker Rich Christopher, Daily Variety reported.

Rice had been very disappointed when Tom Cruise was cast for "Interview With the Vampire," but she is even more concerned about the production of this film. "Any agony or joy I suffered on 'Interview,' multiply it by 100 because it is just so crucial to me that this story get done right," Rice said.

2 Comments:

Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

You know, I read "Interview with a Vampire". I read it at a time in my life when I was really into vampires and dark stuff like that. And I absolutely hated that book.

I know her subject material has improved dramatically... I hope her writing style has, too.

11:31 PM  
Blogger queen_spoo said...

I haven't read any of Rice's books, though I am familiar with her writings. I have read reviews of people who LOVED her vampire books, especially FOR her writing style, but felt that it suffered in her Jesus book, particularly with the young Jesus' first person dialogue.

I have just ordered the book, and if I get it read any time soon, I may comment on it...but I can't honestly compare it with her previous writing style, since I haven't read her other books.

Perhaps you could check out the book or audio tape from the library and let us know if you think her writing style has improved or not (regardless of the vast improvement in subject matter), in your spare time, of course. :)

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home