Sunday, February 13, 2011

Surprise of the Week: CC's a Christian!

I guess I'm a little behind the times, since this happened a couple of years ago.  However, I randomly came across information that the guitarist from one of my favorite hair bands from the 80's - Poison, who I saw perform recently in 2009 - has now converted to Christianity!  CC DeVille at some point became a believer, and apparently this pastor's report stated that CC invited him backstage to ask for spiritual advice as to how he can communicate his faith at Poison concerts.  He suggested that one way would be to play Amazing Grace during his solo stint, which he actually did!




Here is the Pastor's account of his meeting backstage with CC as well as a video to document some of the time they spent talking.

So Wednesday afternoon my friend, Derek Bruner from Cross Point, called me with the weirdest pastoral request I’ve ever gotten. He asked me if I would be willing to come down and go backstage at the Poison concert to meet with C.C. DeVille (their lead guitarist). Apparently C.C. has just become a Christian and was wondering if I would be willing to bring him some messages he could listen to on the road, as well as just encourage him, and answer a few questions.

I figured it wouldn’t be a good idea to be hanging out backstage at a Poison concert without taking one of our elders, Brian Alexander. We had an awesome night. While I’m certainly going to keep the bulk of our conversations private, there were a few things I feel comfortable sharing.

This guy has an amazing heart. We spent some time with him pre-concert and before he went to get ready to go on stage he said, “Pete would you watch the show tonight and tell me if you see me do anything that would not be honoring to God.” Are you kidding me????

After the concert we had a creative team meeting with him where we suggested a few different ways he could interweave the story of what God is doing in his life through his music. The entire experience was surreal, to say the least.

You can watch the video below to hear C.C. discuss such topics as cussing, elder meetings, accountability and guitar hero. It’s almost six minutes long, but you won’t be disappointed.

the unofficial pastor to poison,

Pete


Guitar Hero from Pete Wilson on Vimeo


I also came across some other videos on YouTube, and found a series that Living Legends Music conducted with CC. Interestingly enough, they were interviewing him about music, but he talked more about God and what he is learning in his life than he did about music! I must say that I am encouraged and pray that he will be sustained in his faith in the rock industry he's in. Apparently, CC's conversion is affecting the rest of Poison (save one member, I hear), where they are toning down their language and are open to CC's testimony of what God is doing in his life. May we all have the enthusiasm CC shows as a new believer!



Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Awesome. :)

10:18 AM  
Blogger queen_spoo said...

Yes, quite.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home